Sunday, July 26, 2009

My First Garden




After doing so much reading and research on living a more simple life and what we can do to be more self sufficient, I decided I wanted to try and grow my own salad veggies. This is a picture of my little cherry tomatoes and they are quite prolific! We are growing them in pots because the soil in this area is mostly rock and clay and not the ideal conditions for a good garden.


There are some areas I may try to use next year for an in the ground garden. So far this year we are growing cukes, cherry tomatoes, tree tomatoes, bell peppers, and green beans. I also decided to try my hand at strawberries...and it succeded. At first it produced a few berries and they were swiped by something...squirrel, birds, nosey cat, I am not sure what. But now the bush has expanded in leaves and runners and is blooming more now than ever before. I love strawberries..they are by far my most favorite fruit.


So if I had a chance to redo what I planted this year, I would definitely add more of each thing. I was kinda shy about what I planted. You know, the whole What-if-it-all-dies-thinking? I did not want to be out to much money in case it did not do well. We tried the start from seed method and everything grew really well at first and then as soon as I tried to transplant them outdoors, they all died. Go figure. So I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and bought starter plants. Not doing to bad for a first timer.


No comments:

Post a Comment