Thursday, August 20, 2009

Homeschool Planning



Well,it's that time again. I began clearing out the old homeschool items from last year today and am getting us ready for the new year. Most of the schools in our area went back the first week of August, but for us that is way too soon! We are still enjoying days by the pool and just lazing around and enjoying what is left of summer. Fall(my favorite time of year)will be here before we know it. I like to stretch out our summer break for as long as I can.

So, we are trying something new this year. Before,we always used Abeka curriculum and unit studies for History since this is my son's favorite subject. This year,however,God had us go a totally new direction with our studies. We are starting to do Switched On Schoolhouse on the computer. I think this will be a really good thing for me since I won't have near the amount of paperwork to do. My son thinks this will be good for him so he doesn't have to do as much writing. I am excited to do something else new this year. The pic with the yellow is a book about recycling and doing what we can for the environment and the other pack is a fabric pack for making a quilt. How do these two go together you ask? Well, last week I went to an Educator's reception and they challenged us to make a school quilt block for a contest. You know me, being a quilter and quilt lover,how could I say no? :)

Since you can choose any subject I chose to do a science/environment block about recycling and the earth. Isn't that cool? This is why I love homeschooling...so many fun things to do and interesting projects. Not to mention the freedom to study what we want, where we want,when we want.....oh I could go on,but I think you get the point.

Hope everyone's school year is off to a great start...or going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment